Australian Derby final field and barrier draw
A total of 12 three-year-olds will line up in Saturday’s Group 1 Australian Derby (2400m) at Randwick after the final field and barrier draw was declared on Tuesday.
Last start Rosehill Guineas (2000m) winner Castelvecchio has come up with barrier 9 with James McDonald taking over from Craig Williams.
The son of Dundeel gets out to 2400m for the first time as he aims to emulate the deeds of his sire who won this race by six lengths in 2013 and was also ridden by McDonald.
2013 Australian Derby (It’s A Dundeel)
Murray Baker trained Dundeel to his 2013 victory, and in 2020, Baker and training partner Andrew Forsman saddle up last start Tulloch Stakes (2000m) winner Quick Thinker who jumps from barrier 6 with Opie Bosson taking over from James McDonald.
2020 Australian Derby barrier draw and final field:
1. CASTELVECCHIO Richard Litt – James McDonald (9) 56.5kg
2. SHADOW HERO Mark Newnham – Joshua Parr (7) 56.5kg
3. WARNING Anthony Freedman – Tommy Berry (10) 56.5kg
4. SHERWOOD FOREST Tony Pike – Kerrin McEvoy (12) 56.5kg
5. ERIC THE EEL Stuart Kendrick – TBA (11) 56.5kg
6. QUICK THINKER Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman – Opie Bosson (6) 56.5kg
7. ZEBROWSKI (NZ) Michael, Wayne & John Hawkes – Hugh Bowman (4) 56.5kg
8. CHAINS OF HONOUR Gerald Ryan – Robbie Brewer (5) 56.5kg
9. SKIDDAW Danny O’Brien – Brenton Avdulla (2) 56.5kg
10. DIASONIC Richard Laming – Tim Clark (1) 56.5kg
11. GET THE IDEA John Sargent – TBA (8) 56.5kg
12. SACRAMENTO Gai Waterhouse & Adrian Bott – Adam Hyeronimus (3) 56.5kg