JJ Atkins Tips & Preview
Group 1 racing takes place at Eagle Farm on Saturday and our form expert has previewed the two-year-old feature and given his best JJ Atkins Tips for June 6.
A field of 18 two-year-olds assemble at Eagle Farm on Saturday, and analysing the form is no easy feat with the unpredictable youngsters coming through 11 different form races.
In terms of BM performance ratings, only seven runners have recorded an effort that rated faster than standard BM in their careers.
And further to that, only five runners have gone quicker than standard last start.
The Ciaron Maher and David Eustace-trained Macroura has the strongest figure going 6.9 lengths quicker than standard over 1100m at Rosehill last start.
She also went 6.2 lengths quicker than standard when defeating Wild Ruler two starts back over 1000m on the Kensington track.
Macroura carried 4.5kg less than Wild Ruler on that occasion and that must be considered.
Other horses to have gone quicker than standard last start include: Overlord (-5.7), Rothfire (-4.3), Isotope (-3.0) and Wild Ruler (-2.9).
If we look at the last four year’s results in this race, both the winner and runner-up had gone quicker than standard at their previous starts, so this is an important factor.
JJ ATKINS WINNING BARRIERS
The barrier draw wreaked havoc with a few top chances, and of the aforementioned group, Macroura has drawn best in barrier 2.
Overlord copped barrier 19 and Wild Ruler, Rothfire and Isotope have also drawn wide in gates 15, 14 and 13 respectively and will need some luck.
In the past 37 years, 31 winners have been drawn inside gate 12 which doesn’t bode well for those drawn out wider.
Previously, the race was run over 1600m, but with the race being 1400m in 2020, there is a shorter run to the first bend and barriers are more important than usual.
With the barrier draw working against a few leading contenders that have performed below Macroura, the Maher and Eustace filly clearly has an edge.
WHO WILL WIN THE JJ ATKINS?
Macroura ticks all the boxes and has scored the services of in-form, locally-based jockey Andrew Mallyon.
The daughter of Snitzel is undefeated in three starts and has improved her BM performance rating with each start indicating she is on an upward spiral and is set to peak on Saturday.
She savaged the line last start and while there is a concern with her jumping from 1100m to 1400m, she is bred to excel over further.
Snitzel progeny are extremely effective up to 1400m, and Macroura gets plenty of stamina from her dam’s side with her dam, Zenaida, being by Zabeel.
Her off pace style of racing should also see further improvement over 1400m, and if Andrew Mallyon can get this filly into clear running at the top of the straight, she can finish powerfully and claim victory.
JJ Atkins Tips
Terms and conditions
- The maximum Bonus Bet for this promotion is $50 per race.
- This offer is only available on races 1-9 at Eagle Farm on June 6, 2020.
- This offer applies to fixed odds win bets only and does not apply to place bets or exotics.
- Eligibilty for this promotion is based on your fixed win selection running 2nd or 3rd place.
- This offer applies to the first bet in the race only.
- Bonus Bet must be redeemed 7 days after the start of race 9 at Eagle Farm.
Terms and conditions
1. Place a Fixed Odds bet on ALL Races at Flemington, Randwick & Eagle Farm on Saturday 6th June 2020 & if your horse finishes 2nd or 3rd get up to $50 back in bonus bets. 2. The Bonus Bet offer applies only to your first Fixed Odds bet on the Win or Each Way Market placed over the Internet. Win portion of Each Way applies. 3. This offer excludes SA & WA residents. 4. Bonus Bets, Multibets, Megabets, Exotics, Telephone bets and Live Betting are excluded from the offer. 5. Bonus Bets will be equal to the value of the Member’s original bet stake, up to a maximum of $50. 6. If a protest is upheld and your selection is relegated to 2nd, you will not receive the promotion. If your horse finishes 2nd and is promoted to 1st via an upheld protest, bets are also ineligible for the offer. 7. The bonus bets will be credited to the Member’s account within 24 hours of the completion of the event. 8. Standard Bonus Bet Terms & Conditions apply. Visit https://help.sportsbet.com.au for more information. 9. This offer is only available to you if you comply with Sportsbet’s General Rules.
Terms and conditions
- Fixed-Odds Win Racing Bets only.
- Bet Returns will refresh each day, and cannot be used on meetings held beyond the current day.
- Not available to use with Bet Boost or other promotions.
- 2nd/3rd Bet Returns require a minimum 8 runners. 2nd Bet Returns require a minimum of 6 runners.
- Excludes SA residents.
- Greyhound Bet Returns available on ‘Run 2nd’ only. Min. 6 runners.
- If your Bet Return runner is scratched, your Bet Return will be returned to your account once the race is resulted.
- Standard Bonus Bet Terms and Conditions apply.
- Standard BetEasy Terms and Conditions apply.