Newmarket Handicap Tips & Preview
NEWMARKET HANDICAP TIPS & PREVIEW
Saturday’s Group 1 Newmarket Handicap has attracted a field of 18 sprinters, and it’s raw speed that counts most when trying to find the winner.
Other than Black Caviar who won this race in 2011 and ran 1.07.3, no other horse has gone quicker than 1:08 to win this race in the past 20 years.
In that period, 10 winners have gone between 1:08.1 and 1:08.9 while the rest were slower.
So, it makes sense to firstly look at horses that can run that sort of time down the Flemington Straight Six (1200m).
The 2021 Newmarket Handicap favourite, September Run, falls outside the benchmark with her only win at the track and trip being in 01:09.61 when she won the Coolmore Stud Stakes on a Good 3.
In fact, that time would see her fail to place in the last 20 Newmarket Handicaps, but that doesn’t mean she can’t go to another level here and post a winning time.
The only three horses to have run sizzling time at the track and trip recently include: Zoutori (01:08.38 Gilgai Stakes), Kemalpasa (0.2 of a length from Zoutori in Gilgai Stakes) and Sirius Suspect (01:08.03 MSS Security Sprint).
Zoutori was second-up when he posted his quick time last campaign, and he comes into the Newmarket second-up on Saturday.
Kemalpasa was third-up posting his PB and is third-up on Saturday, and Sirius Suspect’s PB was first-up last campaign and he also comes into the Newmarket first-up off a small break.
Zoutori and Sirius Suspect both carry 2kg less than when they posted their PBs and Kemalpasa carries 2.5kg less so not a lot of difference there.
Of that trio, Sirius Suspect has the quicker time which rates two lengths quicker than the other pair.
If we take benchmark performances into account, Sirius Suspect went 15.8 lengths quicker than standard on that occasion and is the only horse other than Prague (8.5 lengths quicker than BM) to have posted his PB at the track and trip.
Celebrity Queen (16.4), Kemalpasa (16.1) and Brooklyn Hussle (16.0) are the only horses to boast a higher BM figure, and each did it last start in the Oakleigh Plate (1100m) at Caulfield.
That race was run ridiculously quick early which accounts for the high BM performances.
As for the favourite September Run, she quite simply has the best turn of foot in the field and will be charging home late like she did in the Black Caviar Lightning (1000m) when 2nd to Nature Strip.
She really only hit top gear in the final 150m, and she looks perfectly suited stepping back up to 1200m.
There is enough early speed in the race for September Run to finish over the top of them, but she will need a clear, uninterrupted run to do her best work.
If she gets a clear crack at them, I have no doubt she’s the horse to beat, but if she’s held up even momentarily, she may struggle to pick up the likes of Sirius Suspect who will be making his own luck on speed with Jamie Kah aboard.
Race 6 - 3:25PM Seppelt Wines Newmarket Handicap (1200 METRES)
Best Bet 🏆No. 14 SEPTEMBER RUN $2.30 Bet Now!
Newmarket Handicap Bonus Bets
Terms and conditions
1. Place a Fixed Odds bet on ALL Races at Flemington & Randwick on Saturday 6th March 2021 & if your horse finishes 2nd or 3rd get up to $50 back in bonus bets. 2. The Bonus Bet offer applies only to your first Fixed Odds bet on the Win or Each Way Market placed over the Internet. Win portion of Each Way applies. 3. This offer excludes SA & WA residents. 4. Bonus Bets, Multibets, Megabets, Exotics, Telephone bets and Live Betting are excluded from the offer. 5. Bonus Bets will be equal to the value of the Member’s original bet stake, up to a maximum of $50. 6. If a protest is upheld and your selection is relegated to 2nd, you will not receive the promotion. If your horse finishes 2nd and is promoted to 1st via an upheld protest, bets are also ineligible for the offer. 7. The bonus bets will be credited to the Member’s account within 24 hours of the completion of the event. 8. Standard Bonus Bet Terms & Conditions apply. Visit https://helpcentre.sportsbet.com.au for more information. 9. This offer is only available to you if you comply with Sportsbet’s General Rules.
Terms and conditions
Saturday Racing Offer: *Excludes WA & SA residents. Promo T&Cs apply. Available once per person per race on first Fixed Odds win bet placed online on races 1-6 at Randwick & Flemington on Saturday 06/03/2021 with a minimum field of 4 runners. Bonus Bet equal to stake up to $50. No multi, bonus, cash out, partial cash out or live bets qualify.
Terms and conditions
- The maximum Bonus Bet for this promotion is $50 per race.
- This offer is only available on races 1-6 at Flemington on March 6 2021.
- This offer applies to fixed odds win bets only and does not apply to place bets or exotics.
- This offer is not available on races that contain 3 or less runners
- This offer applies to the first bet in the race only.
- Bonus Bet expires 7 days from issue.
- Bets placed using bonus bets, bonus cash, Neds Tool Box Tools and other Promotional Offers are not eligible for this promotion.
- Neds reserves the right to change, cancel or suspend this offer at any time.
- This offer is available for recreational punters only and clients not participating in the spirit of the promotion will be excluded.
- This promotion is limited to one bet per person, per household.
- Neds terms and conditions apply to this offer.