Crowd-free racing to continue in NSW and Vic

AAP News AAP News in News 23 Mar 2020

Thoroughbred racing in NSW and Victoria is set to continue for the time being behind closed gates.

Racing NSW said the sport would continue under under strict biosecurity risk management protocols in accordance with government and health authority advice.

The protocols have been in place since March 16 and the races are being conducted without public attendance and appropriate social distancing of industry participants.

The same applies to harness racing and greyhound racing.

Victoria’s racing minister Martin Pakula said on Monday all three codes had been given the green light until at least after Tuesday’s national cabinet meeting.

The national cabinet is due to meet on Tuesday night to discuss further biosecurity measures surrounding the coronavirus pandemic.

There was no thoroughbred racing scheduled in Victoria on Monday with Geelong set to race on Tuesday while NSW race meetings at Goulburn and Murwillumbah were going ahead on Monday.

Sydney is in the middle of its multi-million dollar autumn carnival with Saturday’s Golden Slipper meeting conducted without the usual crowd of upwards of 20,000.

There were five Group One races run and another two are scheduled for Rosehill on Saturday.

The carnival is then scheduled to move to Randwick for The Championships on consecutive Saturdays.

The annual Easter yearling sale is also still set to go ahead with much of the bidding online and only necessary personnel and invited sellers and buyers allowed at the Inglis Riverside complex adjacent to Warwick Farm Racecourse.