Dubai off for Beauty Generation while Furore moves stables

Steve Bennett Steve Bennett
  • No Dubai trip for Beauty Generation
  • Furore has a stable change
Beauty Generation has travel plans altered.

 

Multiple Group One winner Beauty Generation will not be travelling to Dubai after connections tabled a new path for the two-time Horse of the Year.

Owner Simon Kwok Siu-ming has announced that his champion seven-year-old will by-pass next month’s World Cup meeting and instead stay home and prepare for a trip to Japan to contest the Group One Yasuda Kinen (1,600m) in Tokyo on June 7.

But before he boards the plane to the land of the rising sun, Kwok stated that the Road To Rock gelding must now prepare for two more races at home before his trip to Tokyo.

“He’ll have two more races in Hong Kong, the Group Two [Chairman’s Trophy on April 5] and then the Group One [Champions Mile on April 26], and then we’ll go to Japan in June,” Kwok said.

Trainer John Moore has been pushing the owners for a tilt at an overseas title with the world’s number one miler and although the destination has changed, he appears to be still on track for a crack at Group One success outside Hong Kong.

Future retirement candidates – Beauty Generation & John Moore

With John Moore staring down the barrel of ‘enforced’ retirement at the end of this season, it could turn out to be his last ‘big-race’ hurrah on what has been an outstanding career for the 69-year-old trainer.

It could also be the swansong for Beauty Generation with Kwok suggesting his reigning Horse Of The Year may be heading for retirement as well.

“Maybe after running in Japan he will retire,” he said.

That being the case, his attempt at winning a third straight Champions Mile could also be his Hong Kong farewell.

Meanwhile, in a shock announcement, Furore has been taken from Frankie Lor and moved across to the Tony Cruz stables by owner Lee Sheung-chau.

Furore with Hugh Bowman aboard

Lor said the owner wanted further big race success and decided the horse needed a chance of scenery to get back to his winning ways.

“The owner made up his mind that the horse cannot win in my stable, they want the horse to win a big race,” Lor said.

“Of course I think [I can do it], but anyway, he has moved to Tony Cruz.

“Tony Cruz is a big trainer so maybe he can help them.”

Furore won the Hong Kong Derby (2000m) in March last year but hasn’t won a race since and has finished unplaced in all four Group One appearances since his Derby success.

Also, the Coronavirus lockout continues across both Hong Kong tracks and will remain in force until at least next month.

The criteria for entrance to Sha Tin and Happy Valley remains in place with club officials, trainers, jockeys, stewards and owners with race day starters the only people permitted to attend.

With this strict criteria in place, just 345 people attended Sunday’s Classic Cup meeting at Sha Tin.

Part of Sunday’s crowd at Sha Tin

Also, there is still no racecourse cross betting available, while all off-course betting branches remain closed for business.

Telebet hotlines are also suspended until further notice.

The Hong Kong Jockey Club has confirmed the ‘lock-out’ situation will remain in force until at least the Happy Valley meeting set down for March 4.

 

✕︎

Sign Up to receive exclusive Tips and Offers

A valid email is required.

Invalid e-mail.


Yes I am over 18.
Yes, I would like to receive email updates on exciting offers from racingbase.com.au. For more info on how we and our partners process your data, see Privacy and Cookie Policies.
You need to confirm that you are over 18 and that you want to receive updates.

*All emails include an unsubscribe link, where you can opt out any time. *Please see our privacy and cookies policy..

x

Newsletter error