Graff chasing Everest slot
- Graff has won a barrier trial at Newcastle
- High hopes he will gain an Everest slot once again
Graff has strengthened his claims for a place in the $14 million Everest with a stylish win in a barrier trial at Newcastle.
Ridden by Brenton Avdulla, the four-year-old took the lead in the straight from his Kris Lees-trained stablemate In Her Time to win Monday’s 900m-heat on the course proper by 1-1/2 lengths.
Group One winner In Her Time already has a slot in the Everest on October 19 with four places remaining.
Graff ran fifth in the rich race last year for Max Whitby and Neil Werrett as a late call-up when their original choice Menari was injured.
In Her Time ran seventh on a heavy Randwick track which is not to her liking.
Lees plans to start Graff in the Group Three Concorde Stakes (1000m) at Randwick on September 7.
Avdulla was aboard the Lees-trained El Dorado Dreaming who won the second of the course proper heats at Newcastle, edging past stablemate Regimental Band to score by a neck.
Daily Double Your Winnings & Bonus Bet offers
RecommendedNew Customers Join Now
- Read review Live Stream Sky Racing AUS & NZ races New Customers Join Now
- Read review New Customers Join Now
- Read Review Boosted Odds until you back a winner, Uplifted Prices and Daily Mega Multis*. New Customers Join Now
- Read Review New Customers Join Now